top of page

Cottage Food Laws in Colorado [2024 Update]

dashboard icons for state cottage food laws .jpg

Overview of Guidance and Ordinances for Cottage Food Laws in Colorado

In Colorado, the Cottage Food Act allows individuals to prepare specific low-risk foods, such as baked goods, jams, and granola, in their home kitchens for sale directly to consumers. This legislation, initiated in 2012 and updated in subsequent years, outlines the types of foods permitted, sales restrictions, and labeling requirements. It enables entrepreneurs to start small-scale food businesses without the need for commercial kitchen facilities.

Food Labeling Requirements according to Colorado Cottage Food Laws

Cottage Foods must be packaged and labeled before being sold directly to consumers, including a disclaimer about their production in a home kitchen. They cannot be labeled as "allergen-free" due to the potential presence of common allergens, and to be labeled as "organic," certification from a USDA-accredited agency is required, though the term "organic" can be used for individual ingredients without primary label certification.

Summarized Business Regulations for Cottage Food Laws in Colorado

A Colorado Cottage Food Operation refers to a small-scale food business run from a home kitchen, producing non-potentially hazardous foods like baked goods, jams, and granolas. These operations must comply with specific regulations set by the Colorado Cottage Foods Act, ensuring food safety through labeling, sales limits, and restrictions on where products can be sold. It allows individuals to start a food business from home without needing a commercial kitchen or extensive permits.


Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment

This dashboard is provided as an informational resource and is not affiliated with the above department. While we strive to keep our information accurate and up to date, we do not claim to provide official legal advice or representations regarding cottage food laws or any other regulations. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and they can vary significantly by location. We encourage all users to consult their local health department or a legal professional to obtain the most current information and advice specific to their circumstances.

bottom of page