top of page

Cottage Food Laws in Kentucky [2024 Update]

dashboard icons for state cottage food laws .jpg

Overview of Guidance and Ordinances for Cottage Food Laws in Kentucky

Kentucky's Home-based Processing program enables residents to craft and process specific goods in their home kitchens, which can then be sold directly to consumers at approved in-state locations. This initiative permits individuals to create and market homemade items within specified guidelines and locations in Kentucky.

Food Labeling Requirements according to Kentucky Cottage Food Laws

Food product labels must include the common name of the product, the home-based processing operation's name and address, and a list of ingredients in descending order by weight. Additionally, the net weight or volume of the product, a statement declaring it as home-produced and processed, the processing date, and identification of allergens such as milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, fish, and shellfish must be clearly indicated on the label in compliance with labeling requirements.

Summarized Business Regulations for Cottage Food Laws in Kentucky

The Kentucky Cottage Food Operation refers to a set of regulations governing the production and sale of certain homemade food products within the state. These regulations allow individuals to operate small-scale food businesses from their homes, producing low-risk food items such as baked goods, jams, and candies for direct sale to consumers. The guidelines outline specific requirements, such as labeling and sanitation standards, to ensure the safety of the products and protect public health.


Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services

This dashboard is provided as an informational resource and is not affiliated with the above department. While we strive to keep our information accurate and up to date, we do not claim to provide official legal advice or representations regarding cottage food laws or any other regulations. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and they can vary significantly by location. We encourage all users to consult their local health department or a legal professional to obtain the most current information and advice specific to their circumstances.

bottom of page