top of page

Cottage Food Laws in Maine [2024 Update]

dashboard icons for state cottage food laws .jpg

Overview of Guidance and Ordinances for Cottage Food Laws in Maine

A Home Food license enables the production and sale of various shelf-stable products from home or retail outlets, excluding items that require refrigeration or freezing for microbial control. Fresh produce, eggs from farms with under 3,000 birds, and poultry producers under the Fewer than 1,000 Bird Exemption are exempt from needing a Home Food License for sale. For items needing refrigeration or freezing, a commercial food processing license is necessary instead.

Food Labeling Requirements according to Maine Cottage Food Laws

Labeling requirements for products sold through stores or wholesale distribution include the need for a label detailing the common or usual name of the product, ingredients listed by predominance, net weight or numerical count, and the producer's, manufacturer's, or distributor's name, address, and zip code. However, products sold directly to consumers from a home setting are exempt from these labeling requirements.

Summarized Business Regulations for Cottage Food Laws in Maine

In Maine, a Cottage Food Operation refers to a small-scale food business that operates from a home kitchen. It allows individuals to produce and sell certain low-risk food products directly to consumers without requiring a commercial kitchen or extensive licensing. The state outlines specific guidelines and limits on the types of food allowed, sales channels, and revenue thresholds for businesses operating under this designation.


Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry

This dashboard is provided as an informational resource and is not affiliated with the above department. While we strive to keep our information accurate and up to date, we do not claim to provide official legal advice or representations regarding cottage food laws or any other regulations. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and they can vary significantly by location. We encourage all users to consult their local health department or a legal professional to obtain the most current information and advice specific to their circumstances.

bottom of page