top of page

Cottage Food Laws in Mississippi [2024 Update]

dashboard icons for state cottage food laws .jpg

Overview of Guidance and Ordinances for Cottage Food Laws in Mississippi

Cottage Food encompasses specific homemade items crafted in a private home's kitchen, but not all food products fall under this category. These goods must be non-potentially hazardous, not necessitating time or temperature controls for safety. Storing these products at home requires adherence to U.S. FDA Retail Food Code guidelines to prevent contamination from insects, chemicals, water damage, or unsanitary conditions.

Food Labeling Requirements according to Mississippi Cottage Food Laws

Labels for cottage food products in Mississippi must include the cottage food operation's name and address, the product's name, ingredients listed by weight, net weight or volume, allergen information per federal guidelines, nutritional details for any claims made, and a clear statement in at least ten-point type, contrasting the background, stating: "Made in a Cottage Food operation that is not subject to Mississippi’s food safety regulations."

Summarized Business Regulations for Cottage Food Laws in Mississippi

In Mississippi, the Cottage Food Operation law allows individuals to prepare certain low-risk foods in their home kitchens for sale directly to consumers. This law permits the production of items like baked goods, jams, and candies without needing a commercial license or inspection. However, there are specific limitations on sales venues and revenue thresholds, and labeling requirements must be adhered to for products sold under this law.


Mississippi State Department of Health

This dashboard is provided as an informational resource and is not affiliated with the above department. While we strive to keep our information accurate and up to date, we do not claim to provide official legal advice or representations regarding cottage food laws or any other regulations. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and they can vary significantly by location. We encourage all users to consult their local health department or a legal professional to obtain the most current information and advice specific to their circumstances.

bottom of page