top of page

Cottage Food Laws in Nebraska [2024 Update]

dashboard icons for state cottage food laws .jpg

Overview of Guidance and Ordinances for Cottage Food Laws in Nebraska

In Nebraska, the Cottage Food Law permits individuals to produce certain non-potentially hazardous foods in home kitchens and sell them directly to consumers. These foods typically include items like baked goods, jams, jellies, and certain candies. However, the law has limitations on sales venues and annual revenue.

Food Labeling Requirements according to Nebraska Cottage Food Laws

Nebraska's cottage food laws mandate specific labeling requirements for homemade food products sold directly to consumers. Labels must include the product name, ingredients list (including allergens), net weight or volume, and the producer's contact information. Additionally, statements indicating the food was made in a home kitchen not subject to inspection and advising consumers to keep the product refrigerated are typically required.

Summarized Business Regulations for Cottage Food Laws in Nebraska

In Nebraska, a Cottage Food Operation refers to a small-scale food business run from a home kitchen, producing non-potentially hazardous foods such as baked goods, jams, and certain other items that are deemed safe for direct consumer consumption. Operators must comply with specific regulations set by the Nebraska Department of Agriculture, including labeling requirements, sales limitations, and mandatory food safety training. There are restrictions on where products can be sold, typically limited to direct sales from the home or at local events.


Nebraska Department of Agriculture

This dashboard is provided as an informational resource and is not affiliated with the above department. While we strive to keep our information accurate and up to date, we do not claim to provide official legal advice or representations regarding cottage food laws or any other regulations. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and they can vary significantly by location. We encourage all users to consult their local health department or a legal professional to obtain the most current information and advice specific to their circumstances.

bottom of page