top of page

Cottage Food Laws in Ohio [2024 Update]

dashboard icons for state cottage food laws .jpg

Overview of Guidance and Ordinances for Cottage Food Laws in Ohio

In Ohio, Cottage Food Products are exclusively permitted for sale within the state and can be sold directly to consumers from the home of production if properly labeled. These products can also be marketed through various avenues like grocery stores, registered farm markets, farmers markets, and can be used or sold in restaurants. Additionally, they can be sold at state-organized festivals or celebrations lasting no more than seven consecutive days.

Food Labeling Requirements according to Ohio Cottage Food Laws

Cottage Food Production Operations must adhere to specific labeling requirements for their food products. Each unit offered for sale must include the product name, net weight in both U.S. and International Systems, ingredient list in descending order of weight, business name and address, and a ten-point type statement indicating 'This Product is Home Produced.

Summarized Business Regulations for Cottage Food Laws in Ohio

A Cottage Food Production Operation refers to the production of non-hazardous foods in a home setting, exempt from licensing and inspection requirements. This typically involves making items like baked goods, jams, candies, and similar products in a residential kitchen that has a single stove or oven used for common household cooking, not commercial purposes. These foods must be properly labeled to comply with regulations, or else they risk being considered misbranded or adulterated.


Ohio Department of Agriculture

This dashboard is provided as an informational resource and is not affiliated with the above department. While we strive to keep our information accurate and up to date, we do not claim to provide official legal advice or representations regarding cottage food laws or any other regulations. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and they can vary significantly by location. We encourage all users to consult their local health department or a legal professional to obtain the most current information and advice specific to their circumstances.

bottom of page