top of page

Cottage Food Laws in Pennsylvania [2024 Update]

dashboard icons for state cottage food laws .jpg

Overview of Guidance and Ordinances for Cottage Food Laws in Pennsylvania

The Department allows limited food processing in residential-style kitchens for public sale, governed by Pennsylvania's Food Safety Act (3 Pa.C.S.A. §§ 5721 - 5737). These processors operate under federal food regulations found in Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs), accessible at Businesses selling directly to consumers may also fall under PA Code Title 7, Chapter 46, Food Code, adding further regulatory measures.

Food Labeling Requirements according to Pennsylvania Cottage Food Laws

Pennsylvania's cottage food labeling requirements mandate that all homemade food products must display a label with specific details, including the product name, ingredients, allergens, net weight or volume, and the cottage food operation's contact information. Labels must be legible, in English, and placed directly on the product's packaging. Moreover, any nutritional claims or statements must adhere to FDA guidelines, and certain products might require additional information or warnings as per state regulations.

Summarized Business Regulations for Cottage Food Laws in Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania, a Cottage Food Operation refers to a small-scale food business run from a home kitchen. This allows individuals to produce certain low-risk foods, like baked goods, jams, and candies, for sale directly to consumers without needing a commercial kitchen or permits. However, there are restrictions on sales venues and annual revenue limits for Cottage Food Operations in Pennsylvania.


Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture

This dashboard is provided as an informational resource and is not affiliated with the above department. While we strive to keep our information accurate and up to date, we do not claim to provide official legal advice or representations regarding cottage food laws or any other regulations. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and they can vary significantly by location. We encourage all users to consult their local health department or a legal professional to obtain the most current information and advice specific to their circumstances.

bottom of page