top of page

Cottage Food Laws in South Carolina [2024 Update]

dashboard icons for state cottage food laws .jpg

Overview of Guidance and Ordinances for Cottage Food Laws in South Carolina

In South Carolina, cottage food refers to non-perishable homemade food items made in a home kitchen that are not potentially hazardous. These foods, including baked goods, jams, and certain canned items, can be produced and sold directly to consumers without requiring a commercial kitchen or specific licensing, provided they adhere to regulations outlined in the South Carolina Cottage Food Law.

Food Labeling Requirements according to South Carolina Cottage Food Laws

In South Carolina, the cottage food law mandates specific labeling requirements for homemade food products. All labels must include a clear statement that the food is homemade and not inspected by the state's Department of Agriculture. Additionally, labels must list specific ingredients used, including allergens, and include the producer's contact information. Finally, labels must display a disclaimer stating that the product is not for resale and must be consumed within a certain period.

Summarized Business Regulations for Cottage Food Laws in South Carolina

A cottage food operation refers to an individual operating from their home, preparing, processing, packaging, and distributing non-risky foods for direct sale to individuals or retail stores. This excludes the handling of aluminum canned goods or charcuterie boards. It involves the production and sale of safe, non-potentially hazardous food items within the confines of a residential space.

South Carolina

South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control

This dashboard is provided as an informational resource and is not affiliated with the above department. While we strive to keep our information accurate and up to date, we do not claim to provide official legal advice or representations regarding cottage food laws or any other regulations. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and they can vary significantly by location. We encourage all users to consult their local health department or a legal professional to obtain the most current information and advice specific to their circumstances.

bottom of page