top of page

Cottage Food Laws in Delaware [2024 Update]

dashboard icons for state cottage food laws .jpg

Overview of Guidance and Ordinances for Cottage Food Laws in Delaware

Delaware's Cottage Food Law permits individuals to produce certain low-risk food items in their homes for direct sale to consumers. These foods, categorized as non-potentially hazardous, include baked goods, jams, jellies, and certain candies. However, they must comply with labeling requirements and sales limitations, operating within specific revenue thresholds outlined by the law.

Food Labeling Requirements according to Delaware Cottage Food Laws

In Delaware, cottage food producers must label their products with specific information, including the product name, ingredients, allergens, net weight, and the producer's contact information. Labels must also include a statement that the product is homemade and not subject to state inspection. Additionally, it's essential to include any necessary warnings or special handling instructions for the product.

Summarized Business Regulations for Cottage Food Laws in Delaware

A Delaware Cottage Food Operation refers to a small-scale food production business run from a private home, allowed to prepare and sell non-potentially hazardous foods like baked goods, jams, and candies. This operation operates under specific regulations set by the Delaware Department of Agriculture, permitting sales directly to consumers, at farmers' markets, or through other designated venues. Restrictions typically apply to the annual revenue, types of food allowed, labeling requirements, and the prohibition of sales through third-party retailers or online platforms.


Delaware Health and Social Services

This dashboard is provided as an informational resource and is not affiliated with the above department. While we strive to keep our information accurate and up to date, we do not claim to provide official legal advice or representations regarding cottage food laws or any other regulations. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and they can vary significantly by location. We encourage all users to consult their local health department or a legal professional to obtain the most current information and advice specific to their circumstances.

bottom of page